IYAMW builds the Iyengar yoga community through individual scholarships to the annual retreat, IYNAUS conventions, and yoga workshops. IYAMW also encourages the development of community engagement programs in communities in which Iyengar yoga is not currently available, accessible, or affordable. Such programs are developed with community engagement grants by cultivating awareness of this issue.
COMMUNITY MINI GRANT APPLICATION OVERVIEW
IYAMW has created a new initiative to award several mini-grants to Iyengar yoga teachers developing and maintaining community outreach initiatives in the Midwest. The purpose of these mini-grants is to support Iyengar yoga programs within Midwest communities by providing supplemental funding for yoga props (e.g., mats, blocks, blankets, etc.), teacher compensation, and other associated costs. IYAMW seeks community outreach initiatives that support diversity and provide a service to low income / marginalized communities and groups that do not have access to yoga teachers and studios.
Requirements to Apply:
- Open to Iyengar yoga teachers affiliated with the Midwest region
- Must be a member of IYAMW to apply
- Community Engagement projects are within the IYAMW region
Mini- Grant information:
- $500 check written directly to the applicant
- New mini-grant opportunities will be available on a quarterly basis
- previous applicants can re-apply even if they have been a prior recipient
- Deadline for applications are March 31, June 30, Sept 30, and Dec 31
Categories for Funding
Funding is available for Iyengar Yoga projects that specifically address these areas:
- Bringing Iyengar Yoga to under-served communities
- Enhancing and supporting diversity among yoga students and teachers
Before completing this application, please take special note of these criteria:
Community Grants Application Criteria
(Before applying please read and respond to the following):
Purpose/Objectives of the Project:
How will the project affect the community being served? Is the project community based?
Program Description and Activities:
The mission of IYAMW is to fulfill the educational goals of Mr. Iyengar in the Midwest. IYAMW performs its mission by organizing its annual retreat, serving as a resource for those who seek to teach or learn yoga, and awarding scholarships and community grants to allow all, regardless of means or situation, to study Iyengar yoga.
How does your project objectives relate to the mission of IYAMW?
Can you provide a follow up evaluation of your project? This might be simply asking the students how what they have learned so far and what keeps them returning to the classes, and how they think they are benefiting. You might also consider doing a pre- and post- survey to get feedback from less “vocal” students.
Is it relevant to the project, reasonable and sufficiently detailed? For example, if you are buying props, please list the amount/type of prop/cost and how it will be useful for the project.
Does the project meet a special, specific need? Will it engage the community being served and promote diversity and inclusion?
- Please also read these procedures & considerations before starting your application.
- A final expense report will be required and grant evaluation will be required.
- IYAMW would like to publicize your project on the IYAMW community outreach page to share with the Midwest community. IYAMW may also ask to publicize your project in IYNAUS publications.
- Brief bimonthly project updates are required and will be sent to the IYAMW community outreach committee. These updates can be about aspects of the project that are going well, challenges faced during the project, stories about your experience leading the project, etc. These updates may be shared, with your permission, in newsletters to the IYAMW community and/or on the IYAMW website.
Please Note: We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you compose the body of your grant application first in a document such as MS Word, before cutting and pasting it into the online application template. THE APPLICATION CANNOT BE SAVED while you are in the process of composing online.
If you need more information before you submit an application or would like more guidance on creating your application, please contact: email@example.com
Click here for a PDF FILE OF APPLICATION DIRECTIONS as written here.
APPLY HERE: IYAMW Community Grant Application. Applications are received continuously and deadline dates roll into the next quarter.